The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Thursday, June 03, 2004  

PERSONS, PLACES, AND THINGS
Stuff in the News: June 3, 2004

This Isn’t What I Signed Up For, Part I
CIA Director George Tenet today submitted his resignation to President Dim Bulb, who incredulously cited “personal reasons” for Tenet’s decision to jump ship. One question: Can Tenet write a book before November? Okay, one more question: Does anyone else think the wrong man has resigned?

This Isn’t What I Signed Up For, Part II
The Bush administration settles a longstanding quandary among military strategists: How to force conscription on an all-volunteer army.

This Isn’t What I Signed Up For, Part III
It’s at least mildly comforting to know I’m not the only one wondering “why I stay Catholic.” (Second letter, under the heading “Cushy Job for Law.”)

This Isn’t What I Signed Up For, Part IV
I don’t recall asking for this whole Reaganesque melding of churches and Republican political campaigns.

This Isn’t What I Signed Up For, Part V
Village Photos, the service I use to host photos posted at The Rittenhouse Review, has increased, at no extra cost, the available bandwidth associated with user accounts. That’s pretty cool of them, I think.

This Isn’t What I Signed Up For, Part VI
Tina Brown didn’t deliver this week. Instead of regaling readers with banal bits from a “smart Manhattan dinner party,” Brown, writing in today’s Washington Post, offers only this vague, and factually impaired, aside: “In the Hamptons on Memorial Day weekend, most of the pundit class spent evenings arguing about exit strategies in Iraq and then beating a nostalgic retreat to watch ‘The Longest Day,’ ‘Patton’ and ‘Saving Private Ryan.’” Since when does “most of the pundit class” spend weekends in the Hamptons?

This Isn’t What I Signed Up For, Part VII
I have the TV on while writing this afternoon, and I just saw an advertisement for a product I swear the man speaking called “Key Lime Pie.” He was going on and on about the wonders of “Key Lime Pie,” how it gives off no odor, emits no dust, and prevents tracking. It sounded strange, but it wasn’t until I looked up and at the screen that I saw he was talking about Feline Pine, a product promoted by Nature’s Earth Products Inc. as “the healthy cat litter.” That was a close one.

[Note: Items may be added to PP&T after initial publication.]

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS