The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Friday, July 09, 2004  

FROM MY MAILBOX
To Yours

The coming family gathering and its attendant assignment, the reading of Hungering for America, has led to a preponderance of food-related e-mail traffic in and out of Rittenhouse, including correspondence with my cousin L.M. about, among other things, pasta e fagiole, known more colloquially among my people (Italian Americans, I mean) as “pasta fazoole”:

It’s not “my” pasta fazoole recipe. It’s my mother’s. Which really means it’s Grandma Capozzola’s. But I know for sure and for certain Grandma Capozzola never wrote down a recipe in her life. She didn’t need to. With her very being she imparted great cooking. A pencil and a 3-by-5? I don’t think so.

By the way, the recipe is yours for the asking.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS