The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Friday, July 02, 2004  

NO MORE CALLS
We Have a Winner

Last Wednesday I invited Rittenhouse readers to participate in a contest, one asking for your best guess at the total bill I incurred during a visit to a nearby emergency room after a freak accident here at home.

Since the prize I offered -- the winner paying the bill -- lacked a certain mass appeal, there were, not surprisingly, very few entries. Regardless, I stopped accepting entries at 5:00 p.m. today, and so, as they say in the business: No more calls. We have a winner!

The victor is R.P. of Lake Forest, Ill., a longtime and loyal Rittenhouser who chimed in with an estimate of $4,250.00.

It’s a good thing for Miss P. that this isn’t “The Price is Right,” because while the Chicagoan’s entry was closer to the total tab than that of any other entrant, she was a little on the high side: The bill I incurred was $3,881.00.

Thankfully, my health insurance plan will cover . . . Wait a minute, I don’t have health insurance coverage. I haven’t had health insurance coverage for almost three years, a period including my previous, and incredibly stingy, former employer.

I guess I’m just puttin’ that bill on the pile.

(Needless to say, I’m not sending R.P. the bill and I don’t expect her to pay it. That was just in good fun.)

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS