The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Thursday, July 01, 2004  

PERSONS, PLACES, AND THINGS
Items in the News, Or Not
July 1, 2004

Small-Town Philadelphia
Earlier this afternoon I ran into a neighbor at our local supermarket. During our brief conversation I bemoaned the high prices affixed to some of the produce, including the tomatoes and the strawberries. Both are out of reach on my current budget.

Not long after returning home I heard the doorbell ringing. Upon opening the door I was surprised to see my neighbor, the same neighbor, kindly having brought me beautiful strawberries and blueberries, a gesture of neighborliness that too many people believe doesn’t or cannot occur in a city so large as Philadelphia.

Let’s see now . . . Whip up an angel food cake, sprinkle with strawberries and blueberries, and I’ll be content to spend all of Independence Day weekend inside, all by myself. Me and my red, white, and blue cake and fruit, and nobody else. Except maybe my neighbor.

[Note: Additional items may be posted to “PP&T” after initial publication but only on the day of publication, excluding post-publication addenda. Such items, when posted, are designated by an asterisk.]

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS