The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Friday, July 02, 2004  

WELCOME TO THE BLOGOSPHERE
Freaks, All of Them

Susie Madrak of Suburban Guerrilla, the fastest blogger in the West East -- I mean, please, does she have on her desk a red phone installed by the Associated Press? -- took me to lunch today.

We noshed, big time, at Silk City American Diner (435 Spring Garden St., Philadelphia). I can’t remember the name of the dish I ordered but it was a magnificent display: a hot open-face sandwich composed of wheat bread, ham, turkey, bacon, cheddar cheese, and brown gravy, accompanied by a side of sweet potato fries.

Heaven on earth, I thought, though I generally kind of walk around hungry these days anyway. Heaven on earth, I thought, until I ordered dessert: warm bread pudding with semi-sweet chocolate and whipped cream.

After lunch Susie carried me to her car and we made a beeline for, if you can believe it, WAL-MART!

Yes, my very first visit to a Wal-Mart. Do you want my reaction, my observations? Sure you do. But that’s a post in and of itself, and one for a later day. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, I wanted to let you know I have added several sites to the blogroll within the last few months. Today I offer you a belated listing of my newest peers. (Actually, some of these people have been blogging for a while; I’m just catching up with them now.)

Let me add here that if you’ve never blogged, you have no idea the work it takes to produce a site that draws a regular readership amid the cacophony of voices, many of them demented, that constitute the American media. I don’t know why the hell any of us does this -- it sure doesn’t pay the bills -- and so all I can do is recommend to you, my readers, my fellow freaks:

America Blog

Art Blog

BlueGrassRoots

Dohiyi Mir

Freeway Blogger

K Marx the Spot

Michael Bérubé

Musings & Migraines

No Capital

No More Apples

Poison Kitchen

Poor Richard’s Anorak

Sidelights

Sivacracy.net

Welcome to the fray.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS