The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Monday, December 06, 2004  

A CHOICE, A DECISION OR WHAT?
Fallwell Can’t Make Up His Mind

Media Matters for America has posted an interesting excerpt from a December 2 exchange between Rev. Jerry Falwell and MSNBC’s Chris Matthews on “Hardball.”

Let’s listen in:

FALWELL: But I think all behavior is chosen. […]

MATTHEWS: Did you choose to be heterosexual?

FALWELL: I did.

MATTHEWS: You chose it? You thought about it and you came up with that solution? That lifestyle? […]

FALWELL: Put it this way. I was taught as a child that’s the right way to --

MATTHEWS: But did you feel an attraction toward women?

FALWELL: Oh, of course.

MATTHEWS: When people are born and they find themselves having an attraction to somebody from the same sex, do you think that’s a choice?

FALWELL: I think you can experiment with any kind of perversity and develop an appetite for it, just like you can food. […]

MATTHEWS: How old were you when you chose to be heterosexual?

FALWELL: Oh, I don’t remember that.

MATTHEWS: Well, you must, because you say it’s a big decision.

FALWELL: Well, I started dating when I was about 13.

MATTHEWS: And you had to decide between boys and girls. And you chose girls.

FALWELL: I never had to decide. I never thought about it.

I’m left with only one conclusion after reading this exchange: Fallwell doesn’t believe his own propaganda.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS