The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Wednesday, December 01, 2004  

TODAY IS WORLD AIDS DAY
And Yet

Today is World AIDS Day, the annual commemoration or recognition of the ravages this disease has wrent worldwide.

Funny, though that’s not the right word, and this fact surprises many people: I haven’t lost even one close friend to AIDS. (Sadly, I have lost more friends to drug overdoses.)

I almost feel guilty about this.

I suspect my emotionally and physically unscathed emergence from the pandemic was sheer luck, the result of my age, having come of age -- that again -- in the mid-1980s, a time when, fortunately, we had enough knowledge to scare us witless.

Do what you can today. And, if you’re so inclined, please post your experience with AIDS in the comments section through the link provided below.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS