The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Wednesday, June 22, 2005  

TALKING ABOUT QUIXOTE
And Tomorrow, Listening

If you live here, in Philadelphia, or are just hanging around in the area tomorrow, Thursday, June 23, please consider stopping by the main branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia, 19th and Vine Streets, beginning at 7:00 p.m., for the institution’s scheduled talk by Edith Grossman, the supremely talented translator of the latest and best English edition of the world’s first genuine novel, Don Quixote.

Now, I’m just wondering what it says about me that I’m planning to attend Grossman’s talk tomorrow with my copy of her translation of Don Quixote in hand, hoping she, the “mere” translator, acting in place of the long since passed author, Cervantes, might give me just a moment to inscribe her signature on the title page.

Maybe it says that Grossman’s translation is so good that I feel like I’m reading Don Quixote, trite as this sounds, for the very first time, even though it’s my third crack at the work.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS