The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Sunday, November 12, 2006  

SUNDAY FUN
Veterans Day Weekend Edition
No Bulge, No Battle

So the father of a couple of friends -- Knute, they call him -- is a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge.

As far as I'm concerned, that's about as esteemed and honorable as you can get these days. Naturally, then, I agreed to attend this afternoon the annual reunion/scholarship-fundraiser event of the Philadelphia-area veterans of the battle held at this place that's a bar, restaurant, and catering hall.

I get there and I find the room, and I guess because there are other events going on, the woman at the table wants to make sure I'm in the right place. As a result, the following conversation ensues.

Woman at Desk: "Are you here for the Battle of the Bulge?"

Jim: "Excuse me?"

Woman at Desk: "Are you here for the Battle of the Bulge?"

Jim: "Do I look like I'm headed to a Weight Watchers meeting? I'm looking for the veterans."

Ba-da-boom.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS