The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Friday, February 07, 2003  

THE CNN NEWS CRAWL
All The News and Then Some

I don’t know the deal is at CNN with that ridiculous “news crawl” running along the bottom of the screen. It is really necessary for the crawl to run 24/7? Aren’t some events considered of such gravity that viewers, the world, even, could be spared the crawl for even an hour?

I was watching Secretary of State Colin Powell speaking before the U.N. Security Council on Wednesday, showing off his pictures of model airplanes and throwing around that vial of, I don’t what that was, anthrax or ersatz anthrax or something, and I see on the crawl, and I’m not making this up, that the Costume Designers Guild next month will bestow its first-ever Distinguished Actor Award on Dustin Hoffman.

I think I could have waited to learn that.

And by the way, why doesn’t the crawl have a corporate sponsor? You know, something like “Today’s Headlines Sponsored by Chia Pet” or “Health in the Headlines . . . Brought to You by Kotex.”

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS