The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Sunday, March 30, 2003  

IS YOUR STATE BEING UNDERSERVED?
Senators of the 108th Congress

The U.S. Senate has been called, and rightly so, the most exclusive gentlemen's club in the world. It's purportedly a chummy place and members are loath to criticize each other publicly, even in the most polite terms. (Gee whiz, sounds like just the kind of place that wouldn't welcome me with open arms and one in which I might not fit well.)

Anyway, it will come as no surprise that I have spent considerable time over the past three months evaluating the current Senate membership. As I engaged in this project I fully expected that my home, Pennsylvania, would easily rank as the most poorly represented state in the upper chamber.

I was surprised, however, to find that no fewer than 17 states easily could compete for the same dishonor. The list, published below, obviously represents the view of a liberal Democrat -- there, I said it -- but make no mistake, there are plenty of Democrats in the Senate who continually disappointment me, Sens. John Breaux (La.), Hillary Clinton (N.Y.), Blanche Lincoln (Ark.), Joseph Lieberman (Conn.), and Zell Miller (Ga.) coming most immediately to mind.

My nominations:

ALABAMA
Sen. Jeff Session (R)
Sen. Richard Shelby (R)

ALASKA
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R)
Sen. Ted Stevens (R)

COLORADO
Sen. Wayne Allard (R)
Sen. Ben Campbell (R)

GEORGIA
Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R)
Sen. Zell Miller (D)

IDAHO
Sen. Larry Craig (R)
Sen. Michael Crapo (R)

KANSAS
Sen. Sam Brownback (R)
Sen. Pat Roberts (R)

KENTUCKY
Sen. Jim Bunning (R)
Sen. Mitch McConnell (R)

MAINE
Sen. Susan Collins (R)
Sen. Olympia Snowe (R)

MISSISSIPPI
Sen. Thad Cochran (R)
Sen. Trent Lott (R)

MISSOURI
Sen. Christopher Bond (R)
Sen. James Talent (R)

NEW HAMPSHIRE
Sen. Judd Gregg (R)
Sen. John Sununu (R)

OKLAHOMA
Sen. James Inofe (R)
Sen. Don Nickles (R)

PENNSYLVANIA
Sen. Rick Santorum (R)
Sen. Arlen Specter (R)

TENNESSEE
Sen. Lamar Alexander (R)
Sen. Bill Frist (R)

TEXAS
Sen. John Cornyn (R)
Sen. Kay Hutchison (R)

UTAH
Sen. Robert Bennett (R)
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R)

VIRGINIA
Sen. George Allen (R)
Sen. John Warner (R)

WYOMING
Sen. Michael Enzi (R)
Sen. Craig Thomas (R)

Depressing, isn't it?

I would be interested in hearing my readers' reaction to this list. Please send your comments to the Review's new address and let me know if I may publish your comments at Letters to The Rittenhouse Review. (Names will be withheld on request but must be provided.)

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS