The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Saturday, June 28, 2003  

“I WOULD GLADLY PAY YOU TUESDAY…”
Nicotine Fits and Delayed Paydays

Remember this line from the appropriately named Wimpy on the cartoon series, “Popeye”?:

I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

That’s exactly how I feel right now. Except not about hamburgers, but about cigarettes. My cigarettes. It’s been 60 hours now. A long 60 hours.

But Tuesday really is payday. (Unless they screw it up again.) It hardly matters. Tuesday sounds to me like eternity; between now and then someone could get hurt. Badly. Very badly, and very soon. We must prevent the violence before it occurs!

By the way, here’s a tip for urban smokers: If anyone on the street asks you for a cigarette, say “No.” Always. To anyone. Anytime. Anywhere.

Why? Well, because if the police see you on the street giving something -- anything -- to a person they know to be a questionable character but whom you don’t know from Adam, they’re going to assume the worst, and you could be paving the way for a very unpleasant afternoon for yourself. [Post-publication clarification: Okay, more like an unpleasant 15 minutes, but still.]

Don’t ask me how I know. Just let me say that, aside from the joyous solemnities (see below), it’s been a lousy week, folks.

[Post-publication addendum (June 30): Keith Berry of Berry’s World feels my pain. And G.S. is dropping off a pack on his way to work this morning. Does that make him an enabler?]

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS