The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Friday, June 20, 2003  

MARTHA, MARTHA, MARTHA!
Hey, Kids, Can You Say “Railroaded”?

I’ve written several pieces in the past (see addendum below) about Martha Stewart’s legal problems stemming from her sale of stock in ImClone Systems Inc. I’ve been following the latest developments with considerable interest and more than a little disdain.

Until I assemble my thoughts on the case, readers might be interested in a recent column about Stewart by Katha Pollitt in The Nation, “Blond Ambition.”

And by the way, Jeralyn Merritt of TalkLeft, who knows far more about law than I do, appears to be thinking like me on this matter, though her recent post about Stewart reveals that creepy necromancer William Safire is seemingly in my camp as well. I know “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” and all that, but this is going a little too far for me.

[Addendum: Previous Rittenhouse posts on the Stewart case: “We Believe Martha. Insider Trading Chatter Strains Logic,” June 24, 2002; “We Still Believe Martha. Today’s ‘News’ Adds Nothing to the ‘Story’,” June 25, 2002 (Bonus: Dreamboat photo of Stewart’s broker, Peter Bacanovic); “We (Want To) Believe Martha. Prosecutors Shift Focus From Waksal to Stewart, Bacanovic,” June 26, 2002. (Bonus: Photo of Stewart and Bacanovic.); “Cheney Breaks Out of the Pack. Stewart Lagging in Media Coverage,” July 18, 2002; “Going to Hell in a Hand Basket! The All-Too-Clueless Rep. Greenwood,” August 25, 2002; “Whither Rep. Jim Greenwood’s Credibility? To Hell in a Hand Basket, Perhaps?,” August 26, 2002; and “Is He or Isn’t He? Items From the Google Files,” October 3, 2002.)]

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS