The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Tuesday, June 10, 2003  

MY DINNER WITH ERIC
And About 100 Other People

DATE: June 9

THE OCCASION: "Table Talk" with Eric Alterman, of Altercation and The Nation, discussing his masterful work, What Liberal Media? (see, especially, p. 245).

LOCATION: The White Dog Cafe, 3420 Sansom St., Philadelphia

THE MENU: Choice of salmon, lamb, duck, and some kind of vegetarian dish.

DINING ROOM TEMPERATURE: Approximately 90 degrees.

DINING ROOM TEMPERATURE WHENEVER RALPH NADER’S NAME CAME UP: Approximately 105 degrees.

MY TABLE COMPANIONS: The best for which one could ever ask, including, of course, my guest, Susan Madrak of Suburan Guerrilla.

THE Q-AND-A: Interesting, lively, sometimes emotional.

MY QUESTION: Alterman didn't seem to care much for the thesis underlying my inquiry, and while he made numerous strong arguments and I agree with most of what he said, I think there's a broader point that needs further explanation. When I'm back to blogging from my office, I'll discuss this in greater detail.

BOOK-SIGNING: Gracious, as one would expect. Alterman's inscription in my copy, while brief, is inspiring.

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS