The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Wednesday, August 13, 2003  

REPORT CARD TIME
My Language Proficiency Exam Results

All in all, on the Transparent Language exams, not too bad:

English: 100% (Advanced)
German: 98% (Advanced)
Italian: 97% (Advanced)
French: 90% (Advanced)
Dutch: 72% (Intermediate)
Swedish: 37% (Beginner)

Hey, I’m no Vaara -- By the way, did you know that “Vaara” means “jeopardy” in Finnish? I did. -- but pretty darn good, overall, I think.

And, in keeping with Vaara’s comments on his own results, please note that I have never had formal classroom instruction of any kind in Dutch or Swedish. That’s all self-taught.

And for what it’s worth, I haven’t had classroom instruction in German or Italian since 1984, nor in French since 1980. English? Well, I was born into that.

So for what that’s worth, if anything, this is nothing more than a pat on the back. And I needed one this week.

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS