The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Friday, December 12, 2003  

ABOUT THAT MUGGING
Since You Asked . . . A Few More Details

Several readers have asked for additional details and/or required clarification about the mugging that I discussed here on Monday.

First, and this will mean little to those who do not live in Philadelphia, it occurred near the intersection of Broad and Spruce Streets. (I may have told an e-mailer Broad and Locust, but that was not correct.) This is not an unsafe area, but it can be rather desolate late at night.

The robbery occurred on Sunday night, not Monday night, at about 11:15 p.m.

I was not stabbed. The “painful gash on my left palm” that I mentioned resulted from my using my hands to break the fall after the mugger pushed me to the ground. My palms hit a patch of ice, leaving a deep and nasty abrasion on my left palm and a small scratch on my right.

I felt okay about it all on Sunday night, but beginning Monday afternoon I started getting skittish about the whole thing. I didn’t see the perpetrator’s face but I know he has a beard because I could feel it on the back of my neck while he was going through my pockets. (Yuck. Scrubbed that off real good!) I could feel his beard again, and that, obviously, was creepy.

Fortunately, I guess, he got me when I was heading to an ATM machine and not after I had withdrawn cash, so I didn’t lose too much. And in a welcome display of karma (I think it’s karma) a reader who saw my Monday write-up subsequently hit the tip box with the exact same amount of money I had in my wallet at the time.

And Ginger Mayerson of The Hackenblog, in an incredibly thoughtful gesture, arranged for Così to send me a gift package to help replace the buy-ten-get-one-free card I lost in the incident. Bloggers really are among your better classes of people.

(Oh, I forgot to mention earlier that the wallet itself was a big loss. It was a snappy Prada number that I got as a gift several years ago. Idiot probably sold it for two bucks.)

In a way, I was almost overdue for this. I’ve been living in large cities since 1986 and I’ve never been robbed or even bothered on the street.

So, rest assured, I’m fine. My left hand is still bandaged, but I’m fine. And I still love Philadelphia.

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS