The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Tuesday, December 16, 2003  

BEST & WORST FILMS
Take It From L’Auteur

Although blogs and blogging are about more than making lists, even we in this avant-garde medium are known to succumb to the lures of that perennial fallback of magazine publishing known as “The Lists.”

As an admittedly disinterested fan of lists, I tend to pay close attention to those assembled by bloggers, particularly when the lists are derived from a field in which he or she has a certain expertise.

The Worst Movies of All Time, by Brian Linse of AintNoBadDude, which I found by way of Roger Ailes, is among such lists.

Like Ailes I’m pleased to say that I haven’t seen any of the films Linse selected as the 10 worst ever made. And while I’ve only seen five of the films on Linse’s best top-10 list, I can’t say I would agree with his assessment. Then again, I don’t go to the movies very often, so what do I know?

Linse thoughtfully included his eight “guilty pleasures,” though the persistent appeal of “Barbarella” remains mystifying, particularly from one as gifted as he is.

Excuse me, Brian? Have you never seen “What’s Up, Doc?”

That’s a guilty pleasure I’m only too happy to broadcast.

Hell, I know the screenplay by heart. (“Sylvia-Louise. You know, with a hyphen.” “I’m coming in there!” “That’s . . . unbelievable.” “You know, the nut with the rocks.”)

And you do too, C&C.

[Post-publication addendum (December 18): Reader A.D.M. writes in: “That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.” (Ed.: A line from the film uttered by Howard Bannister [Ryan O’Neal], in response to “Love means never having to say you’re sorry,” from Judy Maxwell [Barbra Streisand]. Hilarious. Don’t get it? It’s a period piece.)]

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS