The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Wednesday, January 21, 2004  

HOUSEHOLD VULGARITY
Rules About Smoking

This is a rather random post, but speaking of vulgarity -- and we were -- please know that if you visit my apartment you are welcome to smoke, provided no other guests, if any are present, object.

You may not, however, smoke in either the bathroom or the kitchen.

I repeated this household edict not long ago, and the recipient of my admonition, who at the time was smoking in the bathroom, was strangely mystified.

“Why not?” he asked.

“Because it’s vulgar,” I responded.

“Vulgar? How is that vulgar?” he asked, while opening the bathroom door and, of all things, and as if at a service station, dropping his cigarette into the flushing toilet.

Need I say more?

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS