The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Tuesday, January 20, 2004  

“IT IS AS IT WAS”
Or It Isn’t or He Just Never Said It

Peggy Noonan, December 17, 2003 (“‘It Is As It Was’”):

I’m glad the Holy Father chose to see it; I’m glad he has spoken; I’m glad his judgment was, “It is as it was.” If this ends the controversy, or quells it, and I believe it should, that would be a beautiful gift to everyone this holiday season.

Archbishop Stanislaw Dziwisz, private secretary to Pope John Paul II, January 19, 2004 (“Pope Never Commented on Gibson’s ‘Passion’ Film”):

“The Holy Father told no one of his opinion of this film.”

Maybe it was just Peggy reading minds again.

[Post-publication addendum (January 22): Today Noonan tries to explain away her gullibility. “Curiouser,” Noonan says. But see also, because you will thank me: TBogg’s “Men. They Lie.” and WOC’s “Peggy Drew Noonan and The Case of the Mysterious Papal Quote.” This is what I really like about blogging. There are dozens and dozens of bloggers whose expertise, eloquence, and humor put to shame that of their counterparts in the so-called mainstream media. If we look, in this instance, merely at what passes for humor, can anyone honestly say that the likes of James Lileks, P.J. O’Rourke, Christopher Buckley, and even Dave Barry can hold a handle to this pair? Lord, before I die, please let me share an evening of dinner and drinks with TBogg and WOC.]

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS