The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Wednesday, January 28, 2004  

MORE STRIPPER CHIC
Kevin, Gypsy, Vivian, a Suckling Pig, and Garlic

Aw gee whiz, I can’t believe I’m back on the subject already, but today there’s still more evidence in the media of “stripper chic,” this time in the Philadelphia Daily News.

In a fawning and inexplicably respectful piece (actually, the reporter does work in a few subtle and delightful slams), “The Guys at Delilah’s Go Hog-Wild,” complete with a photograph (not on line) of the establishment’s “head chef,” Kevin Simon, looking a tad uncomfortable, I think, flanked -- and I mean that -- by two “dancers,” Gypsy (Wait, isn’t that an ethnic slur? “Romany” might be preferred here.) and Vivian, PDN reporter April Adamson offers readers Simon’s recipe for Delilah’s Whole Roast Suckling Pig, a gastronomic delight, I’m sure, that will be served at “the gentlemen’s club,” Adamson’s words, not mine, on Super Bowl Sunday.

Although I’m not a cook, and I don’t play one on TV, I was surprised to see that the recipe for Delilah’s Whole Roast Suckling Pig includes, among other things, “10 cloves garlic, minced.”

Ten cloves of garlic? Now, I could be wrong, but isn’t a “clove” of garlic one of those little pieces? You know, just a part of, what is it called, a head or a bulb or what, of garlic?

Ten cloves to spice up an entire “Whole Roast Suckling Pig”? Even for Delilah’s that seems kind of skimpy to me. And what’s with the mincing? Seems a little unmanly.

Oops, did I say “skimpy”? There I go, lapsing unwittingly into the lingo of “stripper chic.”

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS