The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Saturday, January 31, 2004  

MY CANDIDATE . . . AND YOURS
A Little Civility, Please?

Do you want to know something I don’t like? I don’t like it when after I’ve expressed my preference for a Democratic presidential candidate during the primary season and I bend over backward, both on this blog and off, to be fair to my favored candidate’s opponents, that politically minded friends who have reached other conclusions are eager to trash my candidate, in front of my face and almost baiting me, based on nothing more than rumors and innuendo.

I’m not the enemy here, by any means, nor is Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.). I thought we all had one goal in mind: defeating President George W. Bush.

If I’m wrong about that, let me know. Because while “your” candidate does not, by any means, stir in me enthusiasm or excitement or passion or whatever your word of the day is, I think he is a fine man and ample presidential material. I would be more than happy, ecstatic even, to throw my heart, my soul, and my body into his -- “your” candidate’s -- campaign, because I’m looking beyond South Carolina, Oklahoma, and Missouri. I’m looking toward November.

But without backing up your own heartfelt zeal and your certain conviction that no one other than your candidate can “inspire” voters in that fateful month, you are acting in a fashion that is at best misguided and at worst no better than the self-appointed punditocracy’s doling out of imaginary delegates by virtue of the candidates’ appearance, dress, and demeanor. I’m sorry, I thought we were better than this.

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS