The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Wednesday, February 18, 2004  

MORE THEATRICS TO COME IN STEWART TRIAL
Faneuil’s Friends to Testify

Oh, this ought to be something.

Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum, presiding over the trials of publisher Martha Stewart and her former stockbroker Peter Bacanovic, yesterday said she would allow friends of prosecution witness Douglas Faneuil to testify about conversations they had after Stewart sold shares of ImClone Systems Inc. through Faneuil (“Setback Seen for Broker in Stewart Judge Ruling,” by Constance L. Hays).

According to the Times, “The ruling permits jurors to hear evidence of Mr. Faneuil’s conversations with his friends, in which he apparently told them he had done something wrong and was worried about it.”

Why might this be “something?” Well, after overcoming initial jitters, Faneuil last week displayed a distinct flair for the dramatic during his appearance in U.S. District Court. His theatrics, which reportedly grew more pronounced following the apparent appreciation of some jurors, went so far as to draw an objection from Stewart’s lead attorney, Robert Morvillo. “I’m going to object to the acting,” Morvillo said, but was overruled.

I know, I don’t know these guys, Faneuil’s friends. But believe me, I know these guys. And the whole thing has me almost wishing I were in New York for a chance to watch what’s likely to be quite a performance.

I also know I wouldn’t want to be around Faneuil’s friends the night beforehand: “What are you going to wear?” “I don’t know, what are you wearing?” “I just don’t know!”

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS