The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Wednesday, February 11, 2004  

SILLY QUEER PENGUINS
And Then There’s Mildred

I do not have, nor do I carry, any guilt over my decision, years ago, to spay my bulldog, Mildred.

As best I can tell, she’s pretty cool with it too.

And so, re-reading the recent New York Times article about “gay” penguins, among other zoological queers, at the Central Park Zoo and elsewhere, I had to laugh, something that occurs around here with alarming frequency at Mildred’s expense, when reporter Dinitia Smith observed, with respect to Roy and Silo, Midtown New York’s gay penguins: “At one time, the two seemed so desperate to incubate an egg together that they put a rock in their nest and sat on it, keeping it warm in the folds of their abdomens.”

I mean, really, that is just so Mildred.

Not so much the incubating thing, more the really-stupid-sitting-idiot-on-the-rock thing.

She would do that.

I know, I know, there’s always the “runt” of the litter. Why did nobody tell me there is also always the “dud” of the litter? The one I bought.

God, I love this dog.

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS