The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Monday, March 29, 2004  

LAURA BUSH GETS A PASS
The Inquirer Hands the Lady an Easy Assist

The Philadelphia Inquirer usually presents readers with a thoughtful mix of political news culled from its talented Washington bureau, other Knight-Ridder newspapers, and the Associated Press.

Now and again, though, the Inquirer falls down on the job, as it did today with “Don’t Label Her Traditional,” a miserable puff piece about First Lady Harold and the Purple Crayon by the normally reliable William Douglas. [Ed.: Registration required.]

Douglas quotes Mrs. Purple Crayon:

“I think I’ve done a really good job. I mean, I’ve spoken up about women’s rights, the women of Afghanistan, the women of Iraq. I’ve done the only radio address by a first lady, to talk about Afghanistan. I’ve talked about children’s issues. I was on Capitol Hill to brief the Senate Education Committee about early childhood on the morning of Sept. 11.”

Excuse me, Bill, was there no opportunity for a follow-up to that little performance?

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS