The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Sunday, April 25, 2004  

WATCH YOUR BACK
At Least in Louisiana

Reader J.C., a genuine if, I suspect, irregular, or better, erratic, reader of The Rittenhouse Review, alerts me to the following news coming out of Baton Rouge, La., courtesy of the Associated Press:

People who wear low-slung pants that expose skin or “intimate clothing” would face a fine of up to $500 and possible jail time under a bill filed by a Jefferson Parish lawmaker.

State Rep. Derrick Shepherd said he filed the bill because he was tired of catching glimpses of boxer shorts and G-strings over the lowered belt lines of young adults.

The bill would punish anyone caught wearing low-riding pants with a fine of as much as $500 or as many as six months in jail, or both.

“I’m sick of seeing it,” said Shepherd, a first-term legislator. “The community’s outraged. And if parents can’t do their job, if parents can’t regulate what their children wear, then there should be a law.”

I swear, I have nothing to do with Rep. Shepherd’s legislation, that despite the fact that seven months ago I bemoaned the public proliferation of butt-crackage at TRR: The Lighter Side of Rittenhouse, my secondary and now defunct no long updated weblog. (See “Observed: Center City Philadelphia,” September 11, 2003.)

I’m not saying I would support Rep. Shepherd’s bill.

But neither am I saying I would oppose it.

(Note: J.C., by the way, is a real person, and not me pretending to be one -- a real person, I mean -- nor me pretending to be another J.C. J.C. is, in fact, a former boss of mine. Back in the good old days. Before the best of my days, but preparing me therefor.)

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS