The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Thursday, May 13, 2004  

A LONG WEEKEND
Stuff to Do, Stuff to Read

I’m sorry there’s nothing new here today, other than the new terror-alert status (“yellow”) photograph featuring embattled Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, who continues to face pressure to resign from the general public, political commentators and editorialists, and lawmakers.

I’ve decided to take a long weekend. I have certain personal matters requiring attention and I badly need to spend some time plotting new strategies for finding a job, to say nothing of a growing sense of worldweariness and a bout of blogweariness.

As a send-off, let me direct your attention to the latest weekly poll in the sidebar at right: “Which Republican senator do you admire most or find least objectionable?” (Don’t peek at the results before voting. I’ve already voted; I do so early to make sure that in a close race my vote has no chance of tipping the scale.)

In addition, there is a new link facilitating donations to the U.S. Senate campaign of Rep. Joe Hoeffel (D-Pa.) who, as you know, is taking on the reprehensible incumbent, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.).

I admit I have a personal interest in this new link. The Hoeffel campaign created a special link that will allow the campaign to track contributions from readers of The Rittenhouse Review. If Rittenhouse readers contribute $200.00, the campaign will provide me with a ticket to a private fund-raising event featuring Rep. Hoeffel and former Vermont governor Dr. Howard Dean on May 23.

Notably, the Hoeffel senate campaign is the first to which Dr. Dean has given time and active support. Better, I recently learned Dr. Dean’s impending visit to the Philadelphia area is just the first of many visits expected from prominent Democrats, all aimed at adding still more momentum to the rising Hoeffel campaign. So if I miss Dr. Dean’s appearance, there’s sure to be another one.

Finally, I’d like to share some books with you. I recently completed reading all five of them, and since I’ve never quite mastered the art of the book review, I’ll just say I found each book absorbing, fascinating, and well worth your time, money, and effort.

Against All Enemies, by Richard A. Clarke;

House of Bush, House of Saud, by Craig Unger;

The Working Poor, by David K. Shipler;

Vows of Silence, by Jason Berry and Gerald Renner; and

Worse Than Watergate, by John Dean.

(Note: I would like to thank a generous reader, L.H., for the gift of House of Bush, House of Saud, The Working Poor, and Vows of Silence, and my friend S.A., who reads even faster than I do, for the loan of Against All Enemies and Worse Than Watergate.)

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS