The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Thursday, June 03, 2004  

ABOUT THAT SIGN
What Does L&I Have to Say?

Yesterday I blogged about one of my neighbors here in the Society Hill neighborhood who has installed on the north side of his handsome home a ghastly metal sign reading “Bush/Cheney 2004,” signage made all the worse, and more offensive, by its being brightened with spotlights every night.

An astute reader who lives in Philadelphia has alerted me that the owner of the house in question, Jamin V. Potamkin, of 305 S. 3rd St., at the southeastern corner of Spruce and Third Streets, Philadelphia, and an eager donor to the Bush regime’s “reelection” effort, with his sign may be violating the law.

Potamkin’s house is located in the heart of the Society Hill historic district. Regardless of one’s political views, and I have made no secret during the past two years of my own, this four-foot by three-foot sign is a horrible monstrosity.

This intrepid Rittenhouse reader called the Philadelphia Department of Licenses & Inspections, the city’s dreaded “L&I,” from which the reader learned that Mr. Potamkin needs a zoning variance or exception in order to post his noxious banner.

Now, it’s entirely possible Mr. Potamkin already has secured the required permit, but we shall see. I’ll keep you posted.

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS