The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Friday, June 18, 2004  

A BOOK IDEA
Cooking For, At Most, One

For reasons not entirely clear, or at least not worthy of discussion here, members of my extended family are of late exchanging their favorite recipes.

As a confirmed non-cook I have little to contribute to the dialogue, or at least so I thought until this evening.

There are, surprisingly, at least a few nuggets of culinary wisdom that I know and feel compelled to share.

For example, I know how to prepare the perfect hardboiled egg.

Do you know how to do that?

I mean, seriously, do you?

Cover on or cover off?

Salt in the water or not?

And for how long the boiling?

Secrets all, you see.

There’s a book in here, I think, a book containing the cooking and housekeeping secrets of what my mother once politely referred to, with me in mind, as “the perpetual bachelor.”

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS