The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Sunday, July 25, 2004  

HUNTING FOR THE PRESIDENT IN PHILADELPHIA
Drop a Note

As I’ve noted twice before here at Rittenhouse, on July 15 and, previously, on June 16, there’s a fascinating documentary playing in theaters around the country -- no, not that amazing film, “Fahrenheit 9/11,” which you should, by all means, see early and often, and take friends and family -- but another film, “The Hunting of the President.”

Banned in Boston?

No, not at all.

In fact, “The Hunting of the President” has or will hit the screens in Boston (Coolidge Corner Theatre), Cambridge (Kendall Square Cinema), Falmouth (Nickelodeon 5), and Waltham (Embassy 6), Mass., and possibly other locales, before now or between now and early September.

But nowhere is “The Hunting of the President” to be seen in Philadelphia, the fifth-largest city in the United States of America, that great and too often overlooked city, all but trapped, it seems, between the dump and the swamp.

One would think that with “Fahrenheit 9/11” still playing to sizable crowds at the Ritz East, the Ritz Theaters chain might be able to find at least one screen somewhere within the boundaries of the fifth-largest city in the United States of America to show “The Hunting of the President.”

Unfortunately and apparently not.

I called, asking, and was told this: “The guy what makes those decisions, his mind is probably already made up.”

“Well, perhaps I might I use this phone call to indicate my interest in seeing the film in a Ritz Theater?” I asked.

“I dunno know.”

“Maybe you might write something down?” I responded.

“I dunno know. Right now we’re rollin’ quarters. [Ed.: Actually, this particular sentence was unintelligible. That’s my best guess.] Maybe you could send an e-mail or somethin’, but the best thing you can do is to stop by one of our theaters and fill out a suggestion card.” [Ed.: Emphasis mine.]

Duly noted, Mr. Tolstoy.

And so, as a public service, I publish the following information regarding Ritz Theater locations in the Philadelphia area:

Ritz Bourse:
Fourth Street, between Chestnut and Market Streets.

Ritz East:
Second Street, between Chestnut and Walnut Streets.

Ritz Five:
214 Walnut Street.

Ritz Sixteen:
900 Haddonfield-Berlin Rd., Voorhees, N.J.

I’ve seen the film. It’s terrific. I would see it again. I would pay to see it again.

You should see “The Hunting of the President,” too. And whether or not you live in or near Philadelphia, all you need to do is ask for it.

Just drop a note in the box.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS