The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Saturday, July 03, 2004  

REMEMBER TO ITEMIZE
Checking the Bill

Yesterday I revealed the tally of the bill I received following my recent visit to a nearby emergency room: $3,881.00.

This afternoon I perused, with considerable fascination, the hospital’s itemized bill.

One of the first things the E.R. staff did when I arrived was to “open a line,” as they say, that in order to infuse whatever it is they infuse in such circumstances, and that for reasons still not clear to me.

Total cost: $1,228.00.

For a saline drip.

Now if this isn’t some kind of profit center, I don’t what is.

More details:

“Basic metabolic panel”: $548.00.

“US” [Ed.: Ultrasound]: $631.00.

At least I know what those procedures are about. Here are two that have me stumped:

“Red substances”: $20.00.

“Specific gravity”: $29.00.

If there’s a doctor, nurse, or other professional reading this who might shine some light on my bill, I would appreciate hearing from you.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS