The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Saturday, August 07, 2004  

LIGHT BLOGGING
Recent Past & Near Future

Due to an inexplicable confluence of unfortunate technical difficulties caused by Verizon.net, our DSL provider, problems Verizon proved to be completely incapable of resolving, even measuring Verizon’s capabilities against the lowest of all possible standards.

My conversations with multiple Verizon representatives went something like this: “We’re sorry. We made a mistake. We yanked your DSL service a week earlier than you requested. Unfortunately, having done so, we can’t get the DSL connection back up and running for at least another seven days. Will dial-up suffice in the meantime?”

Further revealing its utter ineptitude, Verizon today shut down two of the three voice lines coming into the house, five days earlier than the work order specified. Despite my best efforts, I was unable to reach even a single human being at Verizon today. The best I could do was to use their phone-based menu of options to set up a service call on Monday. Our window of opportunity? 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Nine hours!

The reason I’m blogging from home today is thanks to the speedy response of Comcast Corp.’s cable-based internet service. (Actually, we had to go get the self-install kit, but that’s more than Verizon could offer.) I’ve had problems with Comcast in the past, but, gee whiz, so far, so good, so fast.

All of that is to explain the light volume of posts at Rittenhouse over the past few days. Readers should anticipate a lighter-than-usual volume of posts during the coming week, as I’ll be moving on Thursday and, as you know, there’s much to do in the meantime to prepare for the relocation.

Actually, I’ve moved so many times in my life, I’m getting pretty good at this. Still, wish me luck.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS