The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Sunday, December 19, 2004  

JUST ASKING
About Juvenile Diabetes

Lately I’ve seen many television advertisements placed by the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, all of them featuring actress and diabetic Mary Tyler Moore.

Because I recently became interested in this disease -- for reasons that relate not to me directly and are not relevant to this discussion -- I’m pleased to see the ads getting so much airtime.

Still, there’s something Moore says in the ad that, while raising my hopes, also sparks a question. Specifically, and I’m paraphrasing here, Moore states in the ads: “We are so close to a cure.”

What I’d like to know, from those who have been following this issue more closely and for longer than I have, is whether Moore’s statement is true.

Is the cure of juvenile diabetes “so close”? Closer at hand than it was five, 10, or 20 years ago? Or is Moore’s observation something more akin to an exhortation intended to raise more funds for the organization?

By no means should these questions be interpreted to suggest that the JDRF is not a worthy recipient of your charitable contributions, because I’m sure it is, and I encourage you to support this organization.

I’m just asking is all. Your informed comments are welcome here.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS