The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Tuesday, December 07, 2004  

MY WEIGHT AND THEIRS
I Really Can’t Help It

Earlier today I had lunch with two colleagues, a man and a woman, during which conversation the topic arose of the subject of body weight and losing weight and the like.

I was mostly quiet during the subsequent exchange, at least until the very end, at which point I offered this: “Do you want to know my secret for staying thin?” (My interrogation the result, at least in part, from my own recent calculation of my “body mass index,” or B.M.I., which at the present time stands at 18.9, after President Overweight allowed his to be published.)

And to my question my female colleague eagerly responded with this: “Absolutely. Tell me.”

To that I responded, “It’s genetic. I was born this way.”

And do you know what? She didn’t really appreciate hearing that. And who could blame her?

| HOME | | DONATE |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS