The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Thursday, February 17, 2005  

I MISSED A FEW THINGS
Covenant Marriage and Steely Dan

How did I miss this? I learned only yesterday there’s a notion, trend, or fad taking hold in certain parts of this country, namely that which goes by the appellation “covenant marriage.”

Apparently, covenant marriages have been around for years and such ceremonies are performed regularly, sometimes in large groups. (Sun Myung Moon, please call your office.) I have no objection to this in principle.

What concerns me, however, is the prospect of legal recognition of these “unions,” along with the possibility we soon will be presented with a hierarchy of marriage, for lack of a better term. I can almost hear it now: “My covenant marriage is superior to your traditional marriage.” “Well, my traditional marriage is superior to their civil union.” The mind reels.

Oh, and then there’s the whole second-round-of-expensive-gifts thing, and don’t even think about trying to trap me into that game.

On a related note, just last week I learned, solely from watching a FedEx television commercial, that Steely Dan is, in fact, not one person.

I’m surprised that never came up in conversation before. Or maybe not.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS