The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Monday, February 28, 2005  

MY iPOD HAS BEEN HIJACKED
From My Play List to Your TV Screen

Something weird is going on.

My iPod play list, or the iPod play list I would have if I owned an iPod, appears to have been hijacked.

Several favorite songs, or songs I like, at least, currently are running in different, oft-apearing television advertisements, including, but not limited to: “The Girl From Ipanema” (Special K), “Windy” (Talbots), “Happiness Runs” (Delta Airlines), and “Beautiful World” (Toyota Avalon).

This is surprising because I’m not a popular-music kind of guy, nor am I known for my taste in this field, both conclusions you probably determined on your own based on the songs mentioned above.

And for me to be even vaguely familiar with four songs now in play, four tunes still residing in the collective psyche of what remains of “Madison Avenue,” is nothing short of amazing.

Time to send my resume up north.

By the way, I also like the song Sea World is using in its commercials, but I don’t know its name, nor the name of the artist.

[Post-publication addendum: A recent, more recent than that preceding this post, Google search reveals the Sea World commercial employs “The Child Inside,” by Qkumba Zoo.]

[Post-publication addendum (March 8): How could I have forgotten Iggy Pop’s “Lust for Life,” currently featured in television ads for Royal Caribbean International?]

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS