The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Monday, February 07, 2005  

RED WHINES ARE SO DIFFICULT TO CLEAN
David Horowitz Writes

Earlier today I received an unsolicited e-mail message from David Horowitz, a surprisingly tardy -- Has Horowitz no interns? -- response to my January 8 post, published here and at HorowitzWatch: "John Paul II: Anti-Communist Commie Sympathizer?"

I wrote in that post, in full:

Something tells me the scary -- and heavily subsidized -- red-diaper baby David “There’s More Money on the Right” Horowitz is at this moment seething, breathing heavily (if at all), and frothing at the mouth over Pope John Paul II’s latest remarks about Cuba and our ridiculous (and sinful, if you’re into that kind of thing) economic embargo aimed at the island’s governing regime, an embargo that hurts no one more than poor Cubans who couldn’t care less about Fidel Castro, his opponents, and Miami-based donors to the great Republican delusion.

According to the Associated Press, the Pope today said, “The Holy See wishes ardently that the obstacles that currently impede free communication and exchange between Cuba and the international community may be overcome as soon as possible, thus consolidating, by means of a respectful and open dialogue among all, the conditions necessary for genuine development.”

You know, if I were president, one of the first items on my agenda would be lifting the Cuban embargo, immediately and in full.

There, Dave, I said it.

Have at me.

"Have at me," I suggested. And Horowitz did, though as I said, only today, nearly four weeks after the post, in a message that read, in its entirety:

"the scary -- and heavily subsidized -- red-diaper baby David "There's More Money On The Right" Horowitz...."

For someone who spent a couple of hours with me at a lunch I treated him to, this is pretty shameful stuff. You invented my quote and my thoughts. What else are you going to invent? A life for yourself maybe.

The gastronomic reference in Horowitz's missive was to an until-now off-the-record lunch he and I shared in December 2002 at the Sansom Street Oyster House in Philadelphia on the afternoon of his scheduled evening appearance at Swarthmore College.

Now, I'm not sure how things work on the right wing, but perhaps way over there on the fringista edge, a 40-dollar lunch implies, or requires, something akin to indentured servitude (like slavery, forever to be uncompensated, let alone something for which an apology might be in order).

Yes, I concede, Horowitz picked up the tab, despite my polite protestations.

And I reproduced Horowitz's correspondence above in its entirety so readers unfamiliar with his stilted prose, at least the unedited venom he and his cronies-in-crime, including Ann Coulter -- "She's only joking," Horowitz assured me at the aforementioned luncheon -- and Tammy Bruce -- "A pussycat," he purred, at the same event -- spew with such disregard for veracity and civility, might get the full and wholly diluted flavor of his purported intellect.


And That's David
"My Parents Were Cafeteria-Lady Organizers" Horowitz,
All-Around Red-Diaper Whiner

(Horowtiz, the all-around red-diaper whiner, he who, prior to the ecstasy of his bottom- and trough-feeding fun as part of the vast right-wing conspiracy, too many foundations to count, was sleeping on the floor of his son's apartment.)

In any event, to the pundit's overwrought message I wrote, in full:

I didn't realize the funds for our modest lunch came from your own pocket. I assumed, in part because you were staying at the Four Seasons, you were traveling on someone else's dime.

If not, please advise me so that I may transmit my "half" of the bill to you at the earliest available opportunity.

A receipt would be appreciated greatly.

Listen, I'm nothing if not a good sport.

And yet, to that, Horowitz responded today, at 11:24:22 a.m., Pacific Time: "[Expletive deleted] you[,] Jim."

And again, since Horowitz is prone to repetition, at 11:24:23 a.m., Pacific Time: "[Expletive deleted] you[,] Jim."

Well, I guess I've had my head handed to me, haven't I?

I'd say that almost hurts, but, truth be told, it really doesn't.

[Post-publication addendum (February 11): Be sure to visit Roger Ailes on this matter, particularly the comments appended to Ailes's post.]

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS