The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Monday, March 07, 2005  

REPUBLICAN YUCKS
(Very) Easy Laughs

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to be considered “amusing,” “funny,” “humorous,” and even “hilarious,” in conservative circles?

As direct evidence I offer such “esteemed” luminaries as Meghan Cox Gurdon, Tom Wolfe, Christopher Buckley, P.J. O’Rourke, Peggy Noonan (Unintential humor notwithstanding.), Ben Stein, and Dennis Miller, a list to which we’re now, according to one Hart Seeley -- Never heard of him? Join the club. The club that hopes Seeley’s joking. -- to add Vice President Dick Cheney.

Seeley, writing on the op-ed page of today’s New York Times in “But Seriously, My Fellow Americans . . .,” offers nearly two dozen examples of Mr. Lynne Cheney’s allegedly vast repetoire of knee-slapping mirth, including these:

I bring good wishes to all of you from the seat of power[:] Crawford, Texas. (Laughter and applause.) - Aug. 29, 2002

I’ve been looking forward to this event. It’s a special event. We’re all here, obviously, for one very particular reason. And I’m sure you paid more than I did to get in. (Laughter.) - July 15, 2003

I just like to remind everybody what you say is being recorded. (Laughter.) - Sept. 29, 2004

Lynne and I have a Republican marriage. We got married because Dwight Eisenhower got elected president of the United States. (Applause.) - Sept. 17, 2004

She’s known me since I was 14 years old, but she wouldn’t go out with me until I was 17. (Laughter.) I’m not sure whether that was her choice, or her father’s choice. (Laughter.) - Oct. 20, 2004

Now, Lynne was pretty impressive when she was 14 years old, too. (Laughter.) - July 30, 2004

I’m going to get in a lot of trouble here if I’m not careful. (Laughter.) - May 21, 2004

I haven’t had this much fun since we beat John Kerry. (Applause.) - Dec. 1, 2004

I was the congressman from Wyoming for 10 years. Wyoming only had one congressman. (Laughter.) It was a small delegation. But it was quality. (Laughter and applause.) - Dec. 1, 2004

And, yes, there are a few of us old white guys in blue suits hanging around, too. (Laughter.) - July 26, 2004

This is a good crowd. I may take you home with me. (Laughter.) - May 24, 2004

I suppose if you shell out $2,500 for a chicken breast, you’re just dying for an excuse to laugh, no matter how small, but this is ridiculous.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS