The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Monday, May 16, 2005  

GRAVES’S DISEASE
I Had No Idea

Speaking of Michael Graves -- and we were -- in today’s Philadelphia Inquirer there’s a report, in the paper’s daily “Newsmakers” feature, about the Princeton, N.J., architect [Ed.: See third item.]:

Architect and designer Michael Graves has returned to work full time, two years after meningitis left him paralyzed below the waist. “Right after it happened, I said, ‘Why me?’” said Graves, whose firm is based in Princeton. He soon realized that that was the wrong attitude because “who knows why you or me -- it’s not going to change.”

Graves’[s] meningitis developed out of an untreated sinus infection for which he delayed getting treatment because he was busy with work and thought it was just a bad cold.

Prospects of walking again are uncertain for Graves, 70, who was awarded the American Institute of Architects’ highest honor in 2001. But he says he has a new outlook on how design can make life easier for people in wheelchairs. “In no bathroom I was in,” he said of his hospital stays, “could I reach the faucets from my wheelchair.” [Link added.]

Gee whiz, I had no idea. I hope my post about toilet brushes conveyed no disrespect.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS