The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Sunday, May 22, 2005  

SO I MET AN IRISHWOMAN
Fine People, They Are

A few days ago I happened to meet an Irishwoman, or I should say, an Irish-American woman.

“Where are you from?” I asked, after a few minutes of conversation.

“I’m from Ireland,” she answered.

Well, yes, there’s that, I thought, since her accent was an easy giveaway. “But from what part of Ireland?”

“Tipperary,” she said.

“Very nice. My mother’s family is from Ireland,” I said. “From County Mayo and County Roscommon.”

“Oh! Fine people up there,” she responded, in deepest, most melodic, brogue.

“I’m trying to remember the names of the towns. . . . . Oh, I know, Kilmovee and Ballaghadareen,” I added.

“You need say no more. As I say, there’s fine people up there,” she declared.

I couldn’t agree more.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS