The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Thursday, June 23, 2005  

KILLEN’S 60 YEARS
And The Missing 40

When I heard the news Edgar Ray Killen was convicted by a Philadelphia, Miss., jury for the 1964 killing of three men, three civil rights activists, I hoped and prayed the judge wouldn’t allow Killen’s advanced age, 80 years, and poor health to affect his sentencing.

I was not disappointed.

Judge Marcus Jordan earlier today sentenced Killen to three consecutive terms of 20 years.

Better, upon issuing the sentence, Jordan said: “I have a job to do, to pass sentence on an 80-year-old with a serious injury. The law does not recognize a distinction of age.”

I should hope it wouldn’t, particularly since Killen went about his business for more than 40 years having escaped punishment for his heinous crimes.

Hell, if I were the judge I would have added another 40 to account for the discrepancy.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS