The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Wednesday, January 04, 2006  

DO YOU HEAR VIOLINS?
Abramoff’s Heart-felt (?) Apology

I tried not to laugh, even to smirk, when I heard yesterday and then read in the papers today, the apology offered to the court by guilty-pleading Criminal-Republican-Lobbyist Jack Abramoff (see “Lobbyist’s Guilty Plea Rocks D.C.” in the Philadelphia Inquirer and “Abramoff Pleads Guilty to 3 Counts” in the Washington Post):

Your honor, words will not be able to ever express how sorry I am for this, and I have profound regret and sorrow for the multitude of mistakes and harm I have caused. I only hope that I can merit forgiveness from the Almighty and from those I have wronged or caused to suffer. I will work hard to earn that redemption.

How much, really, does Abramoff regret the high-flying lifestyle he has led for so long? Who really believes this nonsense?

Regardless, there can be few of sound mind who are not pleased by the prospect of Abramoff working hard to earn the redemption of his God while he -- Abramoff, not God -- is pounding out license plates for more than a handful of years.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS