The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Friday, February 10, 2006  

BARBARA JORDAN
The Things We Forget

I came home tonight and turned on the radio, set to the local NPR affiliate, WHYY (90.9 FM, Philadelphia), which at the time was broadcasting a program offering a lengthy, fascinating, and brilliant portrait of former Democratic Texas congresswoman Barbara Jordan.

"Oh no," I said, almost aloud. "How sad. Did she pass away today?"

Wait, I thought. She passed away a while ago, my mind continued. Didn't she?

Well, yes, she did. I checked in with the invaluable, and to my experience so far, always accurate web site, Dead or Alive, which reports she expired on January 17, 1996, nearly ten years ago.

WHYY was broadcasting "Rediscovering Barbara Jordan," a special program produced by KUT (90.5 FM, Austin, Texas).

So I haven't completely lost my mind.

Regardless, it was a terrific program. Keep an eye out for it. Or, as they say, check local listings.

By the way, I could listen to that woman's voice all day long.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS