The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Tuesday, August 08, 2006  

GOV. RENDELL ON "SENATOR" LIEBERMAN
And on Dweedle Dum

More later, at which point you will understand, but earlier this evening I ran into Gov. Ed Rendell (D-Pa.) in Center City Philadelphia -- at the "opening" of the new Franklin Square -- and I asked him, after introducing myself and presenting my affiliation ("my affiliation" these days means, well, The Rittenhouse Review, for what that's worth), what he would do tomorrow if Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (D-Conn.) lost today's primary, which appears pretty likely at this moment (9:20 p.m., EDT).

Gov. Rendell told me, and I'm paraphrasing, but accurately, I think: I'm focused on Pennsylvania. We have a lot going on here this year and that's what I'm focused on.

I then mentioned that I thought it was extremely important that we all focus on Bob Casey's challenge to the incumbent Republican, Senator Tweedle Dum, adding that I was aware that recent media reports emphasized Gov. Rendell's good working relationship with said Dum. (Okay, I didn't use the phrase "Tweedle Dum," but I think he caught my drift.)

Gov. Rendell told me, "Much too much has been made of that. I'm completely behind Bob Casey. Remember, I cleared the way for Casey to run this race. I'm behind him 100 percent."

And there you have it.

[Post-publication addendum: Crazy close as of 10:35 p.m.: Lamont ahead, 51.9 to 48.1 percent.]

[Update: 11:05 p.m. (EDT) KYW 1060 AM is carrying Lieberman's "concession" speech, if that's what we're to call it. I can't believe what a whining, bitter, nasty, out-of-touch loser he's being about this. Truly pathetic.]

[Post-publication addendum (2) (August 9): For background on the Rendell-Casey relationship and more about their joint appearance yesterday, see "Democrats Unify as Gov. Rendell Embraces Casey," by Carrie Budoff in today's Philadelphia Inquirer.]

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS