The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Friday, August 11, 2006  

QUOTE OF THE WEEK
Into the Ears of Babes

Dirty-book writer Denise Hamilton, writing in today's Los Angeles Times ("Just Hold Your Nose and Read"):

Words by themselves don't have power, I told myself. It's the symbolism we invest in them that gives words meaning. My husband, David, and I occasionally swear at home. But I've carefully explained the origins of most Anglo-Saxon expletives to the kids, with the hope that demystifying them will remove their allure.

What's worse, a mother who swears or one who swears and then engages her children in needless discourses in etymology, possibly even before breakfast?

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS