The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Sunday, September 03, 2006  

YES, HE'S THAT BAD
God Save These United States
Especially Pennsylvania

It's true. For those of you who somehow failed to notice during the past decade or so, Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) really is that bad. Just awful. And he apparently proved it again today when he appeared on Meet the Press with his Democratic opponent, Bob Casey.

I didn't catch their appearance, in part due to my longstanding aversion to Tim Russert (and besides, I don't have cable and the TV pulls in nothing over the air), but I have heard and read bits and pieces of the show on the radio and on the web. (It's available here, so hopefully I will get to it soon.)

It was this remark from Santorum that caught my attention: "[H]ow do we cure Iraq, focus on Iran? [sic]" Note, and this is important, the transcript stupidly and inexplicably puts a question mark at the end of that statement, but when you hear Santorum say the words, there's no doubt he has not framed it as a question. He is saying that if you want to fix what's wrong in Iraq, you need to look to Iran. And so it's really, "How do we cure Iraq? Focus on Iran."

And then there's this, which is even nuttier: "I don't know if it's a question of more troops or less troops, I think the focus should not be Iraq, it should be Iran."

Santorum threw in some of his stupidity about Iraq's supposed possession of weapons of mass destruction, which Casey rightly called "this crazy theory."

Good Lord, Santorum is not only drinking the Kool-Aid, he's swimming in it. It's oozing out of his pores.

And yet, with all that and so much more (and less), I still know too many people here -- Democrats, liberal Democrats even, they say -- who with their narrow (and I mean that), misguided, single-issue focus (yes, we're talking about abortion), won't lift a finger to help Casey nor do they plan to pull the lever on his behalf come November. Call me confused. And more than a little scared.

(Donate to Casey's campaign here.)

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS