The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Friday, October 13, 2006  

PUBLIC RADIO PLEDGE DRIVE
Worthy, Albeit Misguided

WHYY, 90.9 FM, Philadelphia's NPR affiliate, is running its "fall pledge week." Sure, it's a worthy cause, and a quality station and all that, but right now a couple of guys -- announcers or producers, I haven't caught their names -- are acting rather oddly, I think, suggesting a 50-dollar donation, for which listeners who pledge that amount, they suggest, will be pleased to receive a one-year subscription to Newsweek.

People still read Newsweek, and take the magazine? I mean, in the sense of paying for it?

(I write this approaching and then hitting 6:30 p.m., U.S. EDT, when WHYY puts "Marketplace", with Kai Ryssdal, on the air, for reasons I still cannot fathom. It hurts to listen to this program.)

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS