The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Monday, November 20, 2006  

DIPLOMACY HAS ITS OWN LANGUAGE
Requiring Refined Ears

I know everyone already has had at this photograph from today's New York Times -- it's a genuine classic, after all -- but I can't help myself.

Let's listen in.

Chilean President Michelle Bachelet: Do these jammies make my butt look fat?

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper: Uh, no, Shelley, no. No, not at all! Hey, is that an oatmeal stain down there? Or is it . . . oh, never mind.

Bachelet: Are you sure? And what's with the hat? Did they borrow this from Posh Spice? [Ed.: Scroll down for the photo of Victoria Beckham in the hat.] Why aren't you wearing one?

Harper: I have good hair. For a Canadian, eh?

That scintillating interchange was followed by this one:

U.S. President Frat Boy: Vladdy-boy, get a load of the fat ass on Michelle! . . . Wait, wait! Pull my finger!

Russian President Vladimir Putin: Finger stuff? Not so funny first time. No funny now. You know, "Fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again." Whatever! I hear too you have problem journalists. I say, shoot, kill. No question later.

And thus is international diplomacy accomplished.

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS