The Rittenhouse Review

A Philadelphia Journal of Politics, Finance, Ethics, and Culture


Sunday, December 03, 2006  

STREET WALKING
Quite a Coincidence

Earlier today I was walking around in Center City, and I happened upon the block of Locust Street between 13th and 12th, heading east, where I saw yet again the commemorative plaque on the south side of Locust, the one that always sends a chill up and down my spine.

It was kind of a surprise, then, to read in today's Philadelphia Inquirer, not even one hour later, reporter Joseph A. Gambardello's update of the infamous 1981 murder that is the reason the plaque is there for all to see and ponder ("Case Still Stirs Anger").

Gambardello's article begins, "Google [Ed.: Redacted; the name of a convicted murderer.] and you'll get more than 1 million hits for sites containing his name. For 'Police Officer Daniel Faulkner,' it's only 22,800."

Make that 22,801.

One more for Faulkner's side.

According to the article, Faulker's widow, Maureen Faulkner, will be in town this week for, among other things, a Mass in Danny's memory on Saturday, though Gambardello neglects to tell us where.

There will be some more ritualistic crap for the other side -- It never ends for that guy, does it? -- but, even though the Inquirer helpfully alerts readers to the locale, I know I'll pass.

(I'm going to get nasty e-mail for this post, I promise you. Though I didn't use the perp's name, so maybe I'll fly under the radar.)

| HOME |

The Rittenhouse Review | Copyright 2002-2006 | PERMALINK |

CONTACT
BIO & STUFF
PUBLICATION NOTES
LINKS